Individuals shall pick up and turn in applications at City Hall, 119 West 8th Avenue for employment between 8:00a.m. – 4:30p.m. (Monday-Friday). Applications will be forwarded to the Fire Chief via the City Clerk. The dead line on applications for the position of Firefighter will be October 31, 2017. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, prohibits discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral, and other aspects of employment, on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.
If the need to hire more than 1 personnel at one time arises, Petal fire department will advertise through local media outlets of the application process for new firefighters to be employed. Applicants must show proof of a valid Mississippi driver license and pass NCIC background check before the hiring process begins. The City of Petal Fire Department is committed to following all federal guidelines in hiring and staffing.
The successful candidate must possess:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to: effectively meet and deal with the public; communicate effectively verbally and in writing; handle stressful situations; speak clearly and distinctly and respond rapidly and effectively to emergency situations maintaining composure; Hear and distinguish between several voices at the same time while obtaining the necessary information (multi-tasking skills); possess excellent computer related skills; learn and follow the applicable laws, ordinances, and department rules and regulations; follow verbal and written instructions; and learn the geography of the City of Petal.
The successful candidate must:
- Be at least 21 years of age at time of employment or at least 18 years of age and possess a 1001-I-II certification.
- Be a United States citizen.
- Be able to read and write the English language.
- Be able to speak the English language in a clear, concise, well-modulated voice.
- Be able to pass a written test and/or oral interview.
- Be able to attain the State of Mississippi certification within one year of hire.
- Be free of any felony convictions.
- Pass an extensive background process.
- Pass a pre-employment physical exam and drug screening.
- Pass a Physical Agility Test
****Application can be printed here****
If link does not work, copy and paste link in browser
If any questions please contact Chief Sims at 601-705-0908