Upon arrival at the State Fire Academy, all dormitory students must register at the Dormitory located south of the Administration Building. A Security Officer will be present to assist in registration and related activities. Only those students enrolled for training, or those assisting with training, may stay in the dormitory. Students may check-in dormitory between 5:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
The Security Officer is directly responsible for safety, conduct, and security of dormitory occupants, and will be available to assist students, in these areas, during non-training hours.
- All dormitory rooms will be subject to inspection and/or searched if violations of rules are suspected. A request for admission to the State Fire Academy will be construed as an implied consent to all investigations and searches. These investigations and searches will be conducted by proper authorities.
- Dormitory furnishings are property of the state of Mississippi. Any cost for repair or replacement will be charged directly to the student(s) responsible and/or the organization(s) the student represents.
- Rooms are inspected prior to and upon departure of student occupancy. Responsibility for any damage or missing property will be charged to the student(s) last occupying the room.
- Once room assignments have been made, requests for changes will be directed to the Executive Director. All students will share in the proper policing of their rooms, buildings, and campus as directed. Each day all beds will be made and all personal items neatly stored. All linen and room keys must be turned in before 8:00 a.m. the last day of class. Blankets and spread should be folded neatly and placed on the bed. Rooms must be neatly arranged and free of all debris. All personal items are to be removed from room on Thursday.
- The dormitory will be closed during class hours, with the exception of lunch time. If students need to return to their room during class hours, permission must be granted by the Course Instructor.
- Except in the case of married students, no room will be shared by a male student and a female student. Students of opposite sex will not visit in rooms.
- Dormitory visitors will be allowed only between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. All visitors must leave the campus at 9:00 p.m.
- The use of tobacco in any form is strictly prohibited in the dormitory. Failure to comply will result in dismissal from dormitory privileges.
- Alcoholic beverages and controlled substances are strictly prohibited in the dormitory. Failure to comply will result in dismissal from dormitory privileges.
- Students are free to leave the State Fire Academy at the end of each class day. However, if grade average is below 70% they are encouraged to remain on campus and study.
- Quiet time will be observed between the hours of 10:30 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. Students who fail to observe quiet hours will be removed from the dorm.
- 12. The State Fire Academy grounds will be secured at twelve midnight. All students should be back on the grounds prior to this time. Security checks will be made of the Academy complex continuously during the night.
- Use of the exercise room is encouraged; however, for safety reasons, no one will be permitted to work out in the exercise room unless others are present. The exercise room is limited to fitness use only. Leisure activity is not allowed. Students unaccustomed to using an exercise room should seek the supervision of a staff instructor.
- A public telephone is located in the Dormitory lobby for outgoing calls only.
- The opening of windows, blocking or altering of air conditioner/heating vents is prohibited due to the temperature control system of the dormitory. If the dorm room is not a comfortable temperature, please notify your instructor during the morning roll call. Rules and guidelines governing student conduct will be strictly enforced. All students not in compliance will be subject to expulsion from the State Fire Academy. A full report of their conduct will be submitted to the trainee’s fire chief and/or other appropriate official(s). The foregoing information shall not be construed as all-inclusive.