Below are instructions for fire personnel who intend to apply for Workforce Development funding for their training. The student is responsible for following the application steps below. However, you should ensure that, once you receive the student’s admission letter to one of the approved Workforce Development classes, you provide a copy of the letter to the student. The letter will be required at the WIN Job Center when a student applies for funding.
Please share this list of courses and the process below with fire personnel who are interested in applying for Workforce Development funding for their training. The information is also available on the Mississippi State Fire Academy’s website. Thank you.
The courses currently approved for Workforce Development funding are:
- Firefighter 1001 – Level I-II
- Driver Operator NFPA 1002: Pumper Apparatus
- Fire Officer 1021- I-II
- Fire Service Instructor 1041- I-II
- Emergency Medical Technician: Basic
- Emergency Medical Technician: Advanced
Steps required for registration by student of sponsored fire department:
- Applicants MUST have received an acceptance letter to one of the Mississippi State Fire Academy courses listed above. ONLY the courses on this list are eligible for Workforce Development funding.
- Applicants must register through the statewide WIN Job Center to apply for funding for courses listed. Applicants will select/visit the WIN Job Center in their respective districts. WIN recommends calling ahead for an appointment, at which time WJC staff will advise on the required documentation that will be needed. In addition to any documentation the WIN Job Center requests, applicants should be sure to take their course acceptance letters from the Mississippi State Fire Academy with them.
- At their appointments, students will apply for individual training account (ITA) for funding for the course to which they have been accepted.
- Workforce Development will contact MSFA with student/course information.